The Arms of the Dangel of Entlebuch
This family name, always well represented in high (upper or South) Alsace (Haut-Rhin presently) and particularly in Largitzen (near the river Largue), its origin from the action probably of hammering, in the former "tengeln" dialect. One recovers the etymology (word origin) of the Dangel in the surname Dangeleisen, which represents the small anvil of the forge used to hammer. Some authors, like Joseph Karlmann Brechenmacher, see a diminutive of the Daniel forename in Dangel, and gives some strong credentials formerly in Germany. But most of the Dangel of high Rhine come from Switzerland where the name meets also under the shape of Dangeli. The Dangel name has elsewhere given birth to some names of like Dangelsgarten and Dangelsmatten of Moernach or Dengelhag of Muespach-le-Bas (Georges Stoffel, Topographisches Worterbuch of the Ober-Elsasses).
Thanks to the works of the vicar Kayser, we know that a former Dangel family lived in Illfurth. In 1589 a Chrischona Dangel married in the village Valentin Ross. Later the couple Christian Dangel and Eve Harnist, who were united in June 1614, had six children born between 1617 and 1630. Two boys, Jean Jacques and Jean Henri, assured the progeny of name in Illfurth. The first married Anne Merckle in 1648, the year Alsace was reattached to the crown of France. She gave him three sons, but died after the birth of last in 1655. Jean Jacques got remarried then to Madeleine Fechter who gave him seven children again. The second son of Christian, Jean Henri, married Marie Schlicker, then a widower, he married in 1671 Odile Krust. During of numbering (census) of 1698 of the lord of Altkirch, two Dangels were noted by the registrar: two sons of Jean Jacques: Henri and Abraham, both heads of family. Another anterior branch from the Thirty Years War, the one of Thann is known for 1617, the date the vicar registered the death one Jean Dengeli. The name is also known some years later and Andre Rohmer lists some [bangards] in the name of Jean Dangel in 1647.
The different branches have two common features: they come both from Switzerla nd and exercise the profession of miller. The historic and biographic Dictionary of the Precise Switzerland, for this family, that came from the canton of Lucerne in the fourteenth century. The first branch, who gave birth to the millers of Cernay, is originally of Ruswil in the Entlebuch. Two brothers, Melchior and Charles, came to Alsace after the treaty of Munster of 1648. They were sons of Jean Dangel, also a miller. Charles came to old Vieux-Thann and married Lucrece Kreitler of Cernay. His wife having died on him leaving three children, he got remarried in 1684 to Anne Bores Fries. His house was the mill near the Suburb of Cernay. The mill was named the "Michels Millen". In 1691 their goods were valued at thousand five hundred books, currency of Bale, a considerable sum. He is stipulated in the inventory of sharing that this mill must pay annually to the Lords of Ferrette, a royalty in the nature of eight quartauts (quarter cask of 72 pints or 9 gal.) of flour, plus that sixteen quartauts to the city of Cernay. Several descended sons left branches in Cernay. A girl, Anne Marie, married Joseph Herisse Melchior, the brother of Jacques, married in 1665 to Cernay with Madeleine Keller, Hassenburger widow. She gave to him several children, including a girl named Barbe, who married Jacques Schultz the miller of Winckelmuhle to Cernay, and a daughter Eve, who married Balthazard Sontag, the innkeeper of the Cerf of Uffholtz. After the death of Madeleine, Melchior got remarried with Marie Bores Gissinger who gave him two girls. The mill of Melchior, named "Nidere Millen", was valued in 1687, with the garden and the dependences, to the sum of a thousand hundred books. This produced yearly royalties of twelve quartauts of maslin (a mixture of wheat and rye) to the nobles of Hungerstein, a sum of eight soils (fields might be better) to the convent of Schoenensteinbach, and eight soils to the city of Cernay.
OF CERNAY TO
Originally of "Senhemensis", the vicar of Ensisheim, that is Cernay, Simon Dangel married in 1722 Francoise Schaub. The couple had several children. Among them a son Francois Ignace who, after some theological studies, was made a priest in 1749. Priest of Gueberschwihr then of Reguisheim, he managed the parish of Galfingue until the Revolution and died in Ensisheim in 1810 (works of Louis Kammerer). During his ministry to Galfingue, he had the pleasure of marrying his sister and his brother. The first, the above named, Marie Helen, married Ignace Hoffmann of Ferrette, the second, Anthony, united to Elisabeth Meyer. Without that it is possible to reattach it to the branch of Cernay, another Dangel family lived Ensisheim to the same era. They descend from the weaver, Jacques Dangel which the son, Jean Michel, married in 1721 Marie Derendinger under the jurisdiction of the Swiss canton Soleure. The son of these last, Jean Baptist Dangel, was registrar of the jail of Ensisheim after have married Marie Anne Sautier. Their Louis son, born in 1774, cobbler of profession, assured a local progeny.
ALWAYS THE SWITZERLAND
Other Dangel, alias Dangeli and Dengeler, came from Haut-Rhin. For example, the children of couples Jean and Madeleine Vogel staying at Schupfheim, not far from Ruswil in the canton of Lucerne. A son of couples, Joseph, came to establish himself in Mollau, marrying there in 1698 Ursule Ehlinqer. He signed the acts drawing a kind of very stylized anvil, probably in relationship with his name. Some years after his marriage he lived behind Storckensohn. The couple passed then to Saint-Maurice-sur-Moselle where were born their children's part. Ursule Ehlinger died in 1714 aged of only forty years. Pierre, also born in Schupfheim like his brother of Joseph, married in 1715 at Saint-Amarin, Catherine Christen. In 1745 he made, close by the chancellery of Murbach, a demand in order to be bourgeois (citizen) receipt of Saint-Andre. In the valley of Masevaux, the vicar Francois Anthony Behra has to prepare the tree of the descended Dagelin of Pierre Anthony, originally of the canton Lucerne. Finally, more to the north, in the city of Soultz is traced Jean Melchior Dengelin of Kriens in the canton of Lucerne. He married there in April 1657 Elisabeth Borer from the canton of Soleure. Before rejoining the eastern Sundgau, mentions a Dangel family again on Willer-sur-Thur or Jacques is city as much as miner in the earthy veins of the low valley to the middle eighteenth century. Spouse of Catherine Ringenbach is unaware us for immediately its source. The historic notice near Schweighouse-pres-Thann, achieved in the last century, indicates that a Dangel family arrived to the village in 1703, but there also we don't know of where she proceeds and the loss of the registers doesn't allow fixing the problem.
Detail former house in Mooslargue.
THE GRAND FAMILY
Jean Dangel was a miller in Moos when he came to the city about 1649, the year of baptism of his son Jean. From his union with Anne Metzger, he had several children. Some were born before 1646, date of opening of the parochial registers of Durlinsdorf, which depended upon Moos then. But he is likely that Jean that arrived toward 1649, after the peace which ended the Thirty Years War. He died in Bonfol in December 1674 and was interred the twenty-first of the month in Pfetterhouse. The vicar of Durlinsdorf noted the death in its registers in specifying that the deceased was a miller in Moos. Among his children, a daughter Agnes married in 1669 Jacques Jaeglin of Pfetterhouse. Three sons married in Durlinsdorf: the first, Jean Adam, with Elisabeth Enderlin, the daughter of the mayor of Moernach. The second, Jean Jacques, with Agnes Lemes of Koestlach. The third finally, Christian, with Madeleine Menweg of Ferrette. Among the Dangel progeny, Jacques Joseph born in 1707, was priest in Ferrette. Another, Joseph Dangel, married in Koestlach in 1728 Ursule Boetsch of Moernach. Some branches were in Moernach, Pfetterhouse,Waldighoffen, etc. At Bendorf, Jean Georges Dangel and his wife Elisabeth had two sons in 1733 and 1733: Barthelemy and Pierre Joseph. Some years later Marguerite Fleury wife of Pierre Dangel gave her spouse twelve children (works of Emile Ruetsch). This branch of Bendorf is probably related to the one of Moos, and the works of M. Ruetsch can explain the relationship.
D'ANGELL DE KLEINFELD
In Durlinsdorf was celebrated in October 1749 the marriage of Henri Dangeli and Marguerite Hubler, of Moos. They lived in Levoncourt. In 1762 she put into the world a son, the aforesaid Henri Xavier Benoit, like his godfather, Henri Benoit Hubler. This son made a brilliant military career and was decorated with the Cross of Saint-Louis. He died in 1848 at Saint-Nom-la-Breteche. His son, Henri Alfred, born at Bayonne in 1798, was a general (New Dictionary of Alsatian Biography). Henri Xavier Benoit had changed his patronyme. He himself was called d'Angell of Kleinfeld, probably in memory of his native village, Moos, a canton of the name Kleinfeld.
James R. Dangel
1504 Sawmill Creek Road
Sitka, Alaska 99835 USA